Nothing About Us Without Us - Different Not Less

I think we’ve developed a ‘patchwork’ sort of world in relation to Autism. Although in my 22 years as being a diagnosed Autistic woman things have improved in regard to Neurodiversity and respect, there is this subculture of ‘cures,’ anti-vax and charlatanism. There is still a very strong whiff of tokenism and disrespect in some organizations which are meant to be assisting us but don’t seem to want us to be at the table making decisions. And decisions on Autistic people really should have Autistic people largely involved – and listened to – in the decision-making process. So we are definitely not there yet, but I am beginning to get some idea of what ‘there’ looks like. Just finishing off with some oft quoted statements – and for good reason. If these principles were adhered to, my life would be a lot easier as I imagine would the lives of a lot of my Autistic peers and colleagues:
“Nothing about us without us”
“Different, not less.”